Intelligence Analysis and Support
SRNL Fast Facts
- National Laboratory for DOE Office of Environmental Management
- Supporting customers at SRS, DOE and other federal agencies nationally and internationally
- Applied research, development and deployment of practical, high-value and cost-effective technology solutions in the areas of national security, clean energy and environmental stewardship
- Operated and managed by Battelle Savannah River Alliance
Putting Science to Work for a Nation
The Savannah River National Laboratory (SRNL) has extensive experience in supporting the intelligence needs of the United States and provides a conduit for making SRNL’s technical capabilities available to the U.S. intelligence community.
SRNL’s internationally recognized expertise stems from the Savannah River Site’s (SRS) rich history of missions supporting the nation’s nuclear weapons stockpile.
Savannah River Site has a broad base of expertise to include nuclear reactor operations, plutonium and tritium processing, spent nuclear fuel reprocessing, environmental monitoring, and materials science. This experience and knowledge-driven environment allows SRNL to be a valuable resource in U.S. intelligence and nonproliferation efforts.
SRNL Analysis Focus Areas
- Foreign Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) Program
- Nuclear Fuel Cycle Facilities
- Nuclear reactors, heavy water facilities, reprocessing plants, tritium production
- Materials security
- Remote Sensing
- Nonproliferation Policy
- Treaties, agreements and regimes
- Export control and licensing
SRNL supports the arms control and nonproliferation efforts of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and participates directly with other government agencies.
Nonproliferation Policy Support
SRNL provides support to NNSA and other government organizations for their participation in the interagency process that develops U.S. positions on the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and the Fissile Material Cutoff Treaty, as well as the 123 Agreements required for nuclear trade with other countries
Control Regime Support
SRNL supports NNSA or participates directly in the work of a number of international WMD and missile control regimes including the Nuclear Suppliers Group, the Missile Technology Control Regime and the Australia Group.
SRNL provides support and technical expertise to NNSA nonproliferation efforts across a wide range of activities, including:
- Technology licensing and Part 810 evaluations
- Development and adoption of effective technologies, tools and methods to provide technical analyses that enable nuclear, chemical, biological, and missile interdictions
- Subject-matter expertise, training programs and tools to NNSA’s International Nonproliferation Export Control Program to effectively impede high-risk proliferation related transfers
- Analyses that inform NNSA on proliferation risk implications for export control regulations